Dr M C Uthappa
Department: Interventional Radiology
Designation: Senior Consultant – Interventional Radiology
Qualification: MBBS, FRCS, FRCRBook an appointment
Dr Uthappa has completed his graduation from Mysore Medical College. He then went on to do his training in Interventional Radiology and Interventional Oncology from the United Kingdom. He has a vast experience of working in radiology in India as well as the UK, across various capacities. He has published papers in several national and international journals to his credit. He conducted the first-of-its-kind Global Interventional Radiology symposium in 2013. Dr Uthappa has been a stalwart in the setup up of the Interventional Radiology and Interventional Oncology department in Global Hospitals across multiple states in India. He has set up a dedicated Interventional Radiology Service at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury, UK and a first-of-its-kind Department of Interventional Radiology and Interventional Oncology for the Gleneagles Global Hospitals in Bengaluru, Chennai & Hyderabad, India. He has an extensive research background with more than 30 publications and scientific articles, numerous abstracts and presentations at various national and international meetings to his credit.
25 Years of Experience
Dr Uthappa is the Director of Interventional Radiology and Interventional Oncology at Global Hospitals, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Chennai. He completed his undergraduate medical training from Government Medical College, Mysore. He went on to obtain Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology training in UK. Dr M C Uthappa is one of the few Interventional Radiologist who has significant experience in the management of post liver transplant complications. He has also started the department of interventional oncology as the emerging field in cancer care.
- Percutaneous Ethanol Injection (PEI)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RF)
- Conventional Transarterial Chemo embolisation (cTACE)
- DC bead Embolisation, Portal vein Embolisation and Radio embolisation (SIRT).
- Hepatic vein and IVC intervention for budd chiari syndrome
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous
- Co-author of book “Q-BASE Radiology: 1 MCQs for the FRCR” Greenwich medical media publishers, London. First published in 2000.
- Co-author of book “Q-BASE Radiology: 2 MCQs for the FRCR” Greenwich medical media publishers, London. First published in 2001.
- Co-author of book “Radiology Picture Tests” Greenwich medical media publishers, London. First published in 2001.
- Co-author of book “Radiology for surgeons” Greenwich medical media publishers, London. First published in 2002.
- Role of Metallic stents in Palliative care. Uthappa.M.C, S M Ho and P Boardman. The John Radcliffe and Churchill hospitals, Oxford This paper was published in Volume 11, Number 1, 2003. Progress in Palliative Care
- Balloon Dilatation for Achalasia of the Cardia: a day case procedure. Uthappa.M.C, Uberoi R, Phillip-Hughes J, Boardman P. The John Radcliffe hospital, Oxford Published in Radiology. 2003.
- Changes in blood coagulability as it traverse the ischemic limb. Shankar V.K, Ray Chaudhury.S, Uthappa M.C, Handa.A and Hands.L.J. Nuffield Department of surgery, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford Published in Journal of Vascular surgery, 2004.
- Retrograde or Antegrade Double-Pigtail Stent Placement for Malignant Ureteric Obstruction? Uthappa M.C, N.C Cowan. Department of radiology, Churchill Hospital, Oxford. Published in Clinical Radiology, 2005.
- Paper published in BJR, Jan’00- “skin sparing in interventional radiology-the effect of copper filter”.
- Poster presentation at the RCR annual meeting Sep’99- “skin sparing in interventional cardiology-effect of copper filter”.
- Audit project presentation- “HCC screening with ultrasound for cirrhosis” at the annual meeting at the Royal society of medicine, London-99.
- Paper presentation at Ultrasound’99 conference in Berlin- “Evaluation of HCC screening programme in cirrhosis with ultrasound at St. Mary’s hospital”.
- Case report published in BJU International, Apr’02- “Nephrographic dilemma-CT confirmation of a venous anomaly”.
- Case published in BJR, Feb’02- “Retrocaval Ureter-MR appearances”. One of the images was selected for the front cover of the same issue.
- Poster presentation at UKRC June 2002 at Birmingham-“3D rotational angiography of renal transplant artery: technique, preliminary results and dose measurements”
- Poster presentation at UKRC June 2002 at Birmingham- “3D rotational angiography of carotid arteries: technique, preliminary results and dose measurements”
- Audit poster presentation at the RCR annual meeting, Sep’02- “Consent in interventional radiology”
- Co-author in a chapter with Dr. M. J. Kellett- “Interventional Radiology in Malignant Urinary Tract Obstruction” for the text book named Interventional Radiology in cancer, to be edited by A. Adam, R. Dondelinger, P. R. Mueller, Springer-Verlag publishers.
- Paper on a prospective study on Prostate biopsy and local anaesthetic acceptance (combined study from St. George’s and Central Middlesex Hospital).
- Poster presentation at RSNA-2002 “A pictorial review of CT features in abdominal tuberculosis”
- Poster presentation at RSNA-2002 “Look after your lead coat and the lead coat will look after you”
- Poster abstract sent to ECR-2003 “A pictorial atlas of retrograde ureteropyelography”
- Paper on “Enhanced Carotid Duplex for Confirmation of Occlusions and Sub-Occlusions”
- Co-author of paper presentation at BSIR meeting, 2008 UK.
- Invited speaker at the recent International hepatobiliary and pancreatic diseases conference, 2009 in Bangalore.
- Invited speaker at the recent Chronic liver diseases symposium, 2009 in Bangalore.
- Regular Speaker in various national and international meetings from 2009 onwards.