Dr Venkataramana N. K
Designation: Chief Neurosurgeon – BGS Gleneagles Global Hospital and Founder Chairman of Brains Hospital
Qualification: MBBS, MCh (Neurosurgery), International Fellow of American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Fellowship in Micro Neuro Surgery and Fellowship in Neuro Endoscopic surgeryBook an appointment
Dr Venkataramana N. K is a well-known medical professional with over 35 years of experience and is Founder Chairman & Director and Chief Neurosciences at BRAINS. He has performed over 30,000 surgeries over the last 30 years of his professional career.
Along with his medical degrees, he has a Fellowship of American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
He is proficient in managing all kinds of neurosurgery procedures. Dr Venkataramana’s research work is impeccable; his papers have been published in various indexed journals and are a valuable contribution to the medical fraternity. He has also contributed to various book chapters and research articles as well.
35 Years of Experience
- December 2016 to present
Founder and Director Neurosciences – BRAINS
- September 2016 November
Director, Advanced Neuroscience Institute
- March 2001 to August 2007
Director, Manipal Institute for Neurological Disorders
- March 1991 to August 2001
Consultant Neurosurgeon, Manipal Hospital
- November 1986 to June 1991
Assistant professor, Neurosurgery -National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences
- Over 30,000 operations performed over the past 30 years
- Endoscopic Neurosurgery
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Cerebrovascular Surgery
- Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Neuronal Regeneration
- Gold medal from Rotary International – Young Surgeons Award
- Felicitation by Lions Club, 2001
- Karnataka Seva Puraskara Award by Ashraya Seva Trust, 2001
- BC Roy Doctor’s Day Award, June 2002
- Outstanding Public Service Award by Rotary Club, 2003
- Outstanding Service Award by Nightingale’s Life-Saving Services, 2004
- Best Public Service Award by Lions Club International, 2005
- Sujayashree Award by Raghavendra Swamiji Mutt, 2006
- Best contribution to profession – Neuroscience Award by Rotary Club, 2006
- Rajiv Gandhi Shiromani Award, 2006
- Chanakya Award for Social Leadership by Public Relations Council of India, 2007
- Sadhana Rathna Prashasthi, 2008
- Karnataka Rajyothsava Award, 2008
- Druvarathna Award by Gurusai International Cultural and Education Academy, 2009
- B V Shivarama Karanth Sadbhavana Prashashti by Karnataka Rajya Kalavidhara Kalyana Vedhike, 2009
- Trinity Vaidya Rathna Award by Trinity Hospitals and Heart Foundation, 2010
- NTR Award from Akhila Karnataka N T R Abhimanigala Sangha, 2010
- Felicitation for Contribution to Neurosurgery by Lions Club, 2010
- Felicitation for contribution to Neuroscience by Rotary, 2010
- Bharatha Rathna Sir M. Visvesvaranya Global Leadership Award for Excellency in Environment – Social Work, Puttanna Chetty Town Hall, 2nd July 2011
- Dayananda Sagar Award for excellence in Medical Profession, July 2011
- Aryabhata Award – Award for excellence in Medical Profession, Ravindra Kalakshethra, 22nd June 2014,
- Honoured by Healthcare Radius & Schneider for outstanding contribution to Healthcare in India, November 2014
- Honoured by Bangalore Development Authority during Karnataka Rajyothsava, 29th November 2014
- Honoured by Gulf Connoisseur – A Premier Lifestyle luxury Magazine
- Channel 9, a prominent TV news broadcaster conferred the Yoga Ratna Award on 21st June 2015
- C V Raman Birth Centenary Award for 2015-16, received from Sri Narendra Modi – Hon’ble Prime minister of India, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, during National Science Congress, January 3 at Mysore
- A.S.Hegde, N.K.Venkataramana and B.S.Das “Brain Abscess in Children” Childs Nervous System Vol2, 90-92, 1986.
- AB Taly, D.Nagaraja, N.K.Venkataramana. VK.Jain “Surgery For Intracerebral Haematoma-Japi 1987.
- N.K.Venkataramana, P.Satish Chandra, A.S.Hegde G.N.N.Reddy and B.S.Das, Evolution of brainstem auditory evoked responses in congenital hydrocephalus – Child’s nervous system 4, 334 – 338, 1988
- N.K.Venkataramana, V.K.Jain, G.N.Narayana Reddy, B.S.Das and A.Chandra Mouli “Far Cry of TB Brain” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 91,3, 1989.
- N.K.Venkatarmana, V.R.Sastry Kolluri, D.V.Raj Kumar, T.Vasudev Rao and B.S.Rao, Paraganglioma of the orbit with Extension to the Middle Cranial Fossa, Neurosurgery Vol.24, No.5, 762-764, 1989.
- N.K.Venkataraman, V.K.Tain, B.S.Das and T.V.Rao, Intramedullary Cysticercosis, Clinical Neurology Neurosurgery vol 91-3, 283-287, 1989.
- N.K.Venkataramana, V.R.Sastry Kolluri, K.S.Narayana Swamy, BYT Arya, B.S.Das and G.N.Narayana Reddy – Progressive Unilateral hydrocephalus, Neurosurgery Vol.24, No.2, 282-284, 1989.
- N.k.Venkataramana, SastryKvr, BsDas- “Tuberculous Osteomyelitis” Neurosurgery, Vol 24.1989.
- N.K.Venkataramana, V.R.S.Kolluri, K.S.Narayana Swamy, V.K.Jain, B.S.Das and S.Das, Exophytic Gliomas of the Spinal Cord, Acta Neurochir (Wien) 107, 44-46, 1990.
- N.K.Venkataramana, P.Satischandra, A.S.Hegde and G.N.Narayana Reddy, Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response in Infancy (Normative Data) NIMHANS Journal, Vol 8 (1) 33-35, 1990.
- N.K.Venkataramana, A.S.Hegde, Satish Chandrasekhar, Manaskumar P and B.S.Das- Surgery for craniopharyngiomas in children, Neurology India 39 (suppl) 52-52, 1991.
- T.Vasudev Rao and N.K.Venkataramana “Cerebral Cysticercal Abscess” Journal of Tropical and Geographical Neurology, 1992.
- D.Radheshyam, J Basu, R.P.Deo, Govind Babu, A.S.Hegde, Venkataramana, Suresh Chandra – Analysis of 10 cases of Primary Central Nervous system lymphoma over 2 years. JAPI Vol 45 No.1, 29-31, 1997.
- Dr.N.K.Venkataramana – “Head Injury Basic Principles and Management” – Journal – Neurosciences UPDATE – Synapse 8th Annual Conference of Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientists Association, P 15 – 20.
- N.K.Venkataramana – “Head injury Basic Principles and Management”
Journal of the Indian Association of General Practitioners – Supplement, Feb – March 2000
- N.K.Venkataramana – “Deep Brain Stimulation – A Novel Therapy for Parkinson’s Disease” Manipal Hospital Bulletin, Vol.2 / No.3, Page-16, October 2000
- N.K.Venkataramana – “Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease” – Journal and the Indian Association of General Practitioners- Supplement, 2001.
- N.K.Venkataramana – “Endoscopic Neurosurgery” Manipal Hospital Bulletin, Vol.3 / No.2, Page -11-12, August 2001.
- Suresh Chandra, Sanjay A Pai, N.K.Venkataramana “Pregnant Woman with Recurrent Metastasis “Clinical Case Report. The National Medical Journal Of India, Vol 14 No 4, 2002.
- N.K.Venkataramana, “Endoscopic Neurosurgery – Update: Journal of Indian Association of General Practitioners (IAGP) June – July 2002
- N.K. Venkataramana et al: Spontaneous spinal extradural haematomas, journal of clinical neuroscience,2005
- Venkataramana NK, Dwarakanath S, Jagannath P, Swaroop GR, Management of multiple intracranial aneurysms- Indian journal of cerebrovascular surgery Apr; 1-1:15-18, 2005.
- Venkataramana NK, Dwarakanath S, Swaroop GR, Iyer P, Paramesh K Cardiopulmonary bypass and low flow status in the management of complex Intracranial Aneurysms. Indian journal of cerebrovascular surgery 2005
- Venkataramana NK: Dwarakanath S, Swaroop GR, Severe pediatric head injuries. Child Nervous System, 21; P- 836. 2005
- Venkataramana NK, Ravichandra R, Dwarakanath S, Swaroop GR, Bilateral post-traumatic sixth nerve palsy- Neurology India. Vol 54 | Issue 2 Page No. 221,222, June 2006
- Venkataramana NK, Shiva Kumar KR, Dwarakanath S, Swaroop GR, Teratogenic Aplasia cutis congenital – a rare entity – Neurology India | | Vol 54 | Issue 3 Page No. 312,313, September 2006
- Venkataramana NK, Dwarakanath S, Bansal A, Swaroop GR, White Cerebellum sign – A case report and review of literature –Pediatric Neuroscience 1(1): 27-28, 2006.
- Venkataramana NK: Ravi D, Dwarakanath S, Swaroop GR, Spontaneous Spinal Extradural Hematomas – Case reports and review of the literature. Journal of Clinical Neurosciences 13,269-272, 2006.
- N. K. Venkataramana, Shailesh A. V. Rao, Arun L. Naik, Neeraj Awasthy1, H. Gupta1, Karamchand Sharma – Tale of the tail / Jul-Dec / Volume 3 / J Pediatr Neurosci / 145, 2008
- N. K. Venkataramana, Operative Nuances Surgery for lipomyelomeningocele. / Jul-Dec / Volume 3 / J Pediatr Neurosci Page- 141, 2008
- N.K.Venkataramana, Y N Anantheshwar – Operative Nuances -Tissue expansion technique for closure of myelomeningocele, Volume 4 /J Pediatr Neurosci /issue :1, Page 25-29. Jan – June 2009
- PM Jagannath. N K Venkataramana, Shailesh A V Rao , Arun L Naik, S K Shivakumar , Naves Saktepar, Raghuram Gopalkrishnan, S K Shankar . Recurrent cerebral larva migrans: A case report and review of the literature. /Volume:4/ J Pediatr Neurosci /Issue :1/ Page :36-40. The year 2009
- N K Venkataramana, Shailesh A V Rao, Arun L Naik, Operative Nuances Endoscopic 3rd Ventriculostomy.109- 112/j.Pediatr Neurosci/volume 4/July-December/2009.
- Y. N. Anantheswar, N. K. Venkataramana1 Department of Plastic Surgery, Manipal Hospital, 1Advanced Neuroscience Institute, Paediatric craniofacial surgery for craniosynostosis: Our experience and current concepts: Part –/ Jul-Dec / Volume 4 / J Pediatr Neurosci / 86-99, 1 2009
- Y. N. Anantheswar, N. K. Venkataramana1 Department of Plastic Surgery, Manipal Hospital, 1Advanced Neuroscience Institute, Paediatric craniofacial surgery for craniosynostosis: Our experience and current concepts: Part 2 / Jul-Dec / Volume 4 / J Pediatr Neurosci / 100- 107, 2009
- B. S. Dwarakanath, Ph D.1, Dinesh Singh M.D.2, Ajit K. Banerji M Ch.3, Rajiv Sarin M. D.4, N. K. Venkataramana M Ch.5, R. Jalali M. D.4, P. N. Vishwanath M. D.5, B. K. Mohanti M. D.6, R.
- Tripathi, M. D.1, V. K. Kalia, Ph D.7, Viney Jain, Ph D.8 Clinical Studies for Improving Radiotherapy with 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose: Present Status and Future Prospects ( Journal of Oncology)
- Neelam K Venkataramana, V. Satishkumar K, Sudheer Balaraju, Radhika Chemmangattu Radhakrishnan, Abhilash Bansal, Ashish Dixit, K. R. Deepthi, Madhulita Das, Majahar Jan, Pawan Kumar Gupta & Satish M Totey: Open-labeled study of unilateral autologous bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in Parkinson’s disease – ORIGINAL ARTICLE Translational Research 7th August 2009
- Differential responses of tumours and normal brain to the combined treatment of 2-DG and radiation in Glioblastoma – Original Article. J Cancer Res Ther – Supplement 1– Volume 5, 2009
- Clinical Studies for improving radiotherapy with 2 deoxy – D-glucose: Present status and prospects. J Cancer Res Ther – Supplement 1 – Volume 5,
- Satish Babu, MD, Venkataramana N K, Mch Neurosurgery; Ravindra Bhmrao Kamble, M.D.; Shailesh A V Rao, Mch Neurosurgery; Arun Naik, Mch Neurosurgery; Roshan V Shetty – Primary Hypothyroidism presenting as a sellar mass which regressed with thyroid hormone therapy – A case report. The Neuroradiology Journal 23:433-436, 2010.
- Dr R.B.Kamble, Dr N.K. Venkataramana* Y, Dr. A.L. Naik, Dr. Shailesh Mch* , Dr. R. Shetty. Sinus Pericranii presenting with Macrocephaly and Mental Retardation: Volume 5 / J Pediatric Neuroscie/39-41/Jan-Jun, 2010
- Ravindra Bhimrao Kamble, M.D; N K Venkataramana, Mch Neurosurgery; Roshan V Shetty, M.D; Arun L Naik, Mch Neurosurgery; Shailesh Rao, Mch Neurosurgery; Diwakar N, DMRD, DNB. Cerebral High-Grade Glioma with crossed Cerebellar Mstastases – A Report of Three Cases. The Neuroradiology Journal 23:429-432, 2010
- Dr N K Venkataramana & Dr Y N Anantheswar Paediatric Anterior Skull Base Tumors – Our Experience and Review of Literature. J Pediatr Neurosci/Page No.1-11, Jan-Jun/Volume 5, 2010
- Halamani R Kusuma, Neelam K Venkataramana1, Shailesh AV Rao’, Arun L Naik1, Gangadhara DS2, Keshavan H Venkatesh, Fulminant hepatic failure after repeated exposure to Isoflurane, Indian Journal of Anaesthesia | Vol 551 Issue J | Mav-jun, 2011
- Ravindra B Kamble, Neelam K Venkataramana, Arun L Naik, Shailesh V Rao Diffusion tensor imaging in the spinal cord, Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging. Volume 21 Issue 3, Pg 221-224, August 2011
- N. K. Venkataramana, C. R. Mukundan1, Department of Neurosurgery. Advanced Neuroscience Institute. BGS Global Hospital. ‘Department of Neuropsychology. Evaluation of functional outcomes in congenital hydrocephalus, Volume 6 / Journal of PediatricNeurosciences / 5-12, Jan-Jun, 2011
- Ravindra Bhimrao Kamble, M.D. Neelam K Venkataraman, C N Raghunath: Dengue encephalitis associated with hydrocephalus, The Neuroradiology Journal Volume 24 – No. 6 – Page No– 833,December 2011.
- N K Venkataramana: Hydrocephalus Indian Scenario – A review. Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences. Volume 6, S-11-22.2011
- N K Venkataramana: Spinal Dysraphism -. Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences. Volume 6,S-31-40,2011
- Neelam Venkataramana, Shailesh A V Rao, Arun L Naik, Krishna Chaitanya, Paparajamurthy Cerebello Pontine Angle Lipoma in a child, Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences/Volume7/Jan-Apr/2012.
- Neelam K Venkataramana, Shailesh A V Rao, Arun L Naik, Kishore Shetty, Paparaja Murthy, Abhilash Bansal, Christos Panotopoulos: Innovative approach for prevention and treatment of post subarachnoid haemorrhage Vasospasm: A preliminary report. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery Vol.7, Issue 2, April –June 2012.
- Palaniappan Manickam Jagannath, Neelam Krishnan Venkataramana, Abhilash Bansal, Madineni Ravichandra1: Outcome of microvascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia using autologous muscle graft: A five-year prospective study. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery. Vol. 7, Issue 3, July-September 2012
- Neelam K. Venkataramanaa, P. K. Venkatesh1, B. S. Dwarakanath2, S. Vani3, Global Neuro and Spine Institute, BGS Global Hospital. Protective effect on normal brain tissue during a combinational therapy of 2-deoxy-d-glucose and hypofractionated irradiation in malignant gliomas(Original Article). Asian Journal of Neurosurgery. Vol. 8, Issue 1, January-March, 2013
- Dr Venkataramanaa N K, Dr Santosh N U, Dr Gayathri P -Management of complex intracranial aneurysms under low-flow state and deep hypothermia: Rationale and results: CVJS: 38- 42, Volume 1 / March /2015
- Venkata Ramana N K; Multiple Intracranial Aneurysms: Challenges and Options: CVJS; 18- 22, Volume 2 / September /2015
- Venkata Ramana N K, Murali Mohan S, Santhosh N U: “A Useful Noise in the operating Room” – Micro Vascular Doppler Sonography- Neurosurgical applications; CVJS, 41- 47, Volume 2 / September /2015
- Venkata Ramana N K, Dr Murali Mohan S: Retraction – Less Aneurysm Surgery “ Technical Note; CVJS, 61- 63, Volume 2 / September /2015
- Santhosh N U, Venkata Ramana N K, Murali Mohan S, Sharath Garg, Mansoor Ali: Pial A-V Fistula Presenting as Lobar Hemorrhage with intraventricular extension: CVJS, 84-87, Volume 2 / September /2015
- N. K. Venkataramana, Shailesh A. V. Rao, L. N. Arun, C. Krishna: Cavernous malformation of the optic chiasm: Neuro-endoscopic removal: Asian Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol. 11, Issue 1, January-March 2016.
- RaviChandra A Madineni, Abhilash Bansal, Venkataramana N K: Decompressive craniectomy for supratentorial hemispheric infarction – prognostic factors and review of literature: CVJS, 61- 63, Volume 3 / April – September 2016
- Dr Veeresha U Mathad, Dr Anita Jagetia, Associate Professor, Dr Divyajyoti Sharma, Dr Daljit Singh, Dr A K Srivatsava, Dr Pragati Ganjoo, Dr Poonam Narang: A rare case of Cervical Internal carotid artery pseudo-aneurysm in a child treated by Endovascular occlusion using NBCA; CVJS: Volume:3:Issue :3, April 2016 – Sep 2016.
- Suryanarayana Sharma PM, Madhusudhan B K, Amit Kulkarni, Lokesh Bathala, Venkataramana N K, Floating Giant in the carotid artery: A rare cause of stroke in young: CVJS: Volume:3:Issue :3, April 2016 – Sep 2016.
- Venkataramana N K: “Vascular Compression Syndrome of Cranial Nerves” CVJS: Volume:3:Issue :3, April 2016 – Sep 2016.
- Ramesh S. Doddamani, Rajesh K. Meena, Murli M. Selvam, Neelam K. Venkataramanaa, Madhvi Tophkhane, Sharat K. Garg: Intraventricular Gliosarcomas: Literature Review and a Case Description: World Neurosurgery; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2016.03.033, 2016
- Ramesh Sharanappa Doddamani, Rajesh Kumar Meena, Selvam Murali Mohan, Neelam Krishnan Venkatramanaa: Single-stage complete removal of dumbbell trigeminal schwannoma in a child by skull base approach; IP: 220.127.116.11, 2016
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Spinal Cord Injury – Chapter 11: “Topics in Paraplegia”, book edited by Yannis Dionyssiotis, ISBN 978-953-51-1621-9, Published: July 2, 2014, under CC BY 3.0 license
- N K Venkataramana: Cerebral cavernomas: Surgical experience and review of literature – CVJS: Volume4/September 2016-March 2017, Pg – 15-20
- NK Venkataramana: Endoscopic management of intracranial cysts: Need of the hour – Neurology India 2017 | Volume: 65 | Issue : 3 | Page: 471-472.
- Ramesh Sharanappa Doddamani, Rajesh Kumar Meena, Selvam Murali Mohan, Neelam Krishnan Venkatramanaa, Department of Neurosurgery,BGS Global Institute of Neurosciences, Bengaluru,Karnataka, India, Single Stage Complete Removal of Dumbbell Trigeminal Schwannoma in a Child by Skull Base Approach: Case Report: Asian Journal of Neurosurgery | Volume 13 | Issue 1 | January-March 2018: Page 136-139.