Dr Venugopal Bhaskaran Pillai
Department: Liver transplant & Biliary Surgery
Designation: HOD and Senior Consultant, HPB & Transplant Surgery
Qualification: MS, DNB, MCh, FRCS EdBook an appointment
Dr Venugopal B has over 21 years of vast experience in performing Liver and Pancreatic Surgeries and over 10 years of experience in performing Multiorgan Transplant Surgeries. He had completed his General Surgery training from prestigious Government Medical College, Trivandrum as the best outgoing postgraduate student. Subsequently, he took DNB in General Surgery from National Board, New Delhi. In the following year, he secured his Fellowship in General Surgery from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He then had higher surgical training in Gastrointestinal Surgery and secured MCh in GI Surgery. He then went on to further hone his skills by getting training in Multi Organ Transplant Fellowship at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, UK, training in Living Donor Liver Transplantation at Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea and GB Ong Fellowship in Liver Transplantation and HPB Surgery at Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong. He has genuine interest in surgical innovations and has several publications to his credit.
Dr Venugopal has conducted first successful combined Liver-Kidney Transplantation and first Laparoscopic Right Hepatectomy in Kerala. He has also performed successful Paediatric Liver Transplant for 6.4Kg baby.
25 Years of Experience
- Senior Consultant & Chief in the Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplant, KIMS, Thiruvananthapuram2013 -2014
- Consultant GI Surgery & Liver Transplant at Lakeshore Hospital and Research Center
- Consultant Surgeon at Ministry of Health, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Consultant GI Surgeon at PVS Memorial Hospital, Cochin
- Living donor liver transplant including both adult and paediatric
- Open and Laparoscopic Liver, Biliary and Pancreatic Surgery
- Professor Elizabeth Leela John Memorial Award(1992) for the best outgoing Postgraduate student in General surgery.