Department of Opthalmology
BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals welcomes you to the Ophthalmology Department of the hospital! We are pleased to be sharing information about our program.
Ophthalmology is a branch of medicine which deals with the diagnosis and treatment of the eye and the visual system. The job of an ophthalmologist is to diagnose, prevent, and treat all manners of eye diseases. The eye is a highly sensitive organ and needs to be taken care of. With millions of people devoting a majority of their time in front of a screen, the number of people falling prey to eye diseases is on the rise. It is recommended to visit an ophthalmologist for regular check-ups to ensure there is no issue. Eye tests and prescription of glasses is the most basic services provided by an ophthalmologist. They can treat glaucoma and degradation of one’s vision, perform surgeries for cataracts and corrective vision, and plastic surgery, amongst other things.
The Department of Ophthalmology offers unparalleled services for eye care. Our surgical services for patients suffering from eye disorders are also second to none, making us one of the best hospitals for treatment of age-related macular degeneration in Bangalore. We offer an accurate diagnosis for impairments, if any, and pain-free treatment in case of a disease. Our ophthalmology lab features cutting-edge infrastructure and the latest medical equipment. It is maintained in the best condition by qualified staff. We use advanced treatment solutions for all disorders. We constantly strive to improve and uphold our reputation as one of the best hospitals for eye care in Bangalore.
Why choose us for treatment of eye disorders?
At the heart of its mission, BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is dedicated to providing patient-centric care. We provide comprehensive consultation and surgical services for eye diseases. Our core values set us apart from other hospitals. We aim to create a hassle-free experience for all our patients with our quality care and state-of-the-art technology. We are a centre that specializes in providing personalized care tailored to every patient’s needs. Our primary aim is to provide quick recovery for all the patients.
We specialize in diagnosing and treating cataracts, traumatic eye injuries, and juvenile glaucoma. We can proudly state that we have amongst the best eye doctor in Bangalore in our team. Our team also consists of highly-trained medical staff who have several years of experience in the field of ophthalmology. We recognize the dangers associated with some of the procedures and equipment and adhere to strict safety protocols.
The hospital is wholly committed to improving a patient’s quality of life, and this ethos is ingrained in all our staff. Some of the other reasons why you should come to us are:
- The use of high-tech equipment for treatments
- A team of 15+ highly qualified doctors, nurses, and assistants
- Breaking new ground with our advanced treatment methods
- We are one of the best hospitals for LASIK Surgery in Bangalore
- We are one of the best hospitals for ocular oncology in Bangalore
- We are one of the best hospitals for the treatment of Strabismus in Bangalore
Our Diagnostic Capabilities
Today’s tech-savvy generation puts a lot of strain on their eyes. Sometimes it can be tough to understand whether your bloodshot eyes are due to staring all day at a laptop screen or whether it is a symptom of something more problematic. The diagnosis of eye diseases can also be tricky as many diseases share similar symptoms. Some of the common symptoms that indicate there is a problem with your eye are:
- Blurry vision
- Itching or irritation
- Dilated pupils
- Bloodshot eyes
- Spots in vision
BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is amongst the best hospitals for the treatment of eye diseases in Bangalore. We run a series of tests to diagnose eye diseases. Our team makes use of high-end equipment for accurate results. We perform the following procedures:
- Visual Fields: The purpose of the test is to measure a patient’s peripheral and central vision. Lights of varying intensities appear in different parts of the machine while the patient’s eye is focused on the center.
- Optical Coherence Tomography: It is a non-invasive test which measures the thickness of the macula, retina, and optic nerves
- Photography: This is done to take an image of the eye. A bright light is flashed when the photo is taken so that light reaches the back of the eye.
- Ultrasounds: These are a series of non-invasive tests that measure the eye before cataract surgery. Ultrasounds can also check for retinal detachment or swollen optic nerves.
- Electrophysiology: It is composed of different tests to understand the full extent of a patient’s retinal functions.
- Colour vision testing: This is used to check for dichromatic type defects and understand a person’s ability to discern different colors.
- Dark Adaptation Testing: It is a psychophysical test to determine the capacity of the patient’s retina to increase its sensitivity in the dark. The test is a measure of the rate at which the retina recovers in the dark after being exposed to bright light.
Treatment & Procedures of Eye Disorders
An ophthalmologist is responsible for the complete care of the visual system. They are one of the few doctors who can diagnose and prescribe medicines as well as perform surgical procedures when required. Our department boasts of some of the best ophthalmologist in Bangalore onboard. Some of the ailments treated regularly are:
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A condition where your vision deteriorates with age. The small, central region of your eye called the macula wears out over time. It causes severe problems with your vision but does not result in blindness. The disease can occur in two forms: wet and dry.
- Cataracts: It is the formation of a dense cloud in your lens. It causes one’s vision to blur and is akin to viewing through a thick fog. Cataracts take years to develop and do not disturb your vision initially. We can proudly say we are among the best hospital for the treatment of cataracts in Bangalore.
- Corneal and External Diseases: These are conditions that affect the ocular surface of the eye. The common problems are allergies, conjunctivitis, dry eye, corneal infections, and dystrophies.
- Diabetic Retinopathy: It is a condition where the blood vessels of the retina are damaged due to diabetes.
- General Eye Care: We are available for eye tests around the clock. Children are given normal vision screenings to ensure their vision is alright. We have a comprehensive dilated eye exam for adults as their vision is susceptible to deteriorate with age. We also give dietary tips, eye exercises, and identify risks based on an individual’s family history.
- Glaucoma: It is a term for eye diseases that damage the optic nerve. High pressure in one’s eye is a primary reason behind the condition. BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for treatment of glaucoma in Bangalore.
- LASIK and Laser Vision Correction: LASIK is a surgery done to correct vision in patients who are near sighted, farsighted, or suffer from astigmatism. The surgery reshapes your cornea to help you see better.
- Neuro-Ophthalmology: It is a branch of ophthalmology that deals with eye diseases stemming from the nervous system. Some of the problems evaluated are double vision, optic nerve damage, unexplained visual loss, and many more.
- Ocular Oncology: This is a subspecialty of ophthalmology that deals with tumors of the eyelid, conjunctiva, and orbit.
- Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: It is a highly specialized field of ophthalmology. It deals with the management of deformities and irregularities of the eyelids, tear system, and orbit. The surgery is performed by ophthalmologists who have completed further training in plastic surgery.
- Retina and Vitreous Diseases: This covers diseases like macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal tears/detachments, and vitreous degeneration. They damage the retina and the vitreous and impair your ability to see. Often known as one of the best hospitals for the treatment of retina and vitreous diseases in Bangalore, we provide optimal care for the same for our patients.
- Strabismus (Misaligned Eyes): It is a condition wherein both eyes do not focus or align at the same object simultaneously. A person suffering from this is termed ‘cross-eyed’ or ‘wall-eyed.’
- Uveitis: This is a type of inflammation in the eye. It can cause redness around the eyes and blurring of one’s vision. BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for the treatment of uveitis in Bangalore.
Our Doctors – Ophthalmologists
BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for eye care in Bangalore. Our team consists of highly qualified ophthalmologists who have several years of experience treating various eye diseases. They are ably supported by a team of optometrists, opticians, nurses, medical assistants, technologists, and ophthalmic photographers. They are well-trained in the working of all our equipment. All of them play an important role in the smooth functioning of the department and are equally responsible for our high-quality services.
Our most important goal is to ensure that you retain complete functionality in your eyes. We are with you every step of the way, right from diagnosis to post-operation check-ups. As a team, we work with the single-minded devotion of providing you with the best care possible. Our professional approach and our personalized care are the reasons why we are amongst the best hospital for treatment of eye diseases in Bangalore.
Dr Chetana T Nayak
MBBS, DO, FGO, DNB, FG (Glaucoma)
Consultant – Ophthalmologist