Deapartment of Pulmonology
BGS Gleneagles Hospitals welcomes you to the Pulmonology Department of the hospital! We will be sharing insights into this area of specialization. We hope to help you understand the diagnosis and treatment procedures associated with pulmonology.
Pulmonology is a subspecialty of internal medicine that is focused on maintaining the health of the respiratory system. The lungs, airway, and respiratory muscles comprise the three major components of the respiratory system. Common respiratory problems can be treated by general physicians or ENT specialists. Pulmonologists deal with unusual or complicated disorders of the respiratory system. They have expertise in infectious, structural, inflammatory, neoplastic disorders, and their effect on the cardiovascular system. The ailments vary from asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), to several lung diseases. Pulmonologists are trained to tackle issues affecting both children and adults. All our treatment methods are minimally invasive. Our department works in direct collaboration with the cardiovascular department in case of further procedures.
Our department has amongst the best pulmonologists in Bangalore, who are ably supported by highly trained nurses, medical assistants, and the latest technology. We believe in early detection and diagnosis, and ensure that any problem is taken care of before it becomes a serious threat. Our mission is to give you the best treatment possible at every step of the way. Every patient is provided with a customised plan to suit their needs. Our commitment to patient-centric care, ultra-modern equipment and infrastructure, and qualified staff makes us a contender for the best hospital for pulmonology in Bangalore.
Why Choose Us
BGS Gleneagles Hospitals, at the heart of its mission, is dedicated to providing patient-centric care. We provide comprehensive care and surgical services for lung diseases. Our core values set us apart from other hospitals. We aim to create a hassle-free experience for all our patients with our quality care and state-of-the-art technology. We are a centre that specializes in providing comprehensive care catered to individual needs. We are:
- A centre for pioneering procedures and advanced surgical care
- A centre for harnessing the power of technology for improved patient outcomes
- A centre for delivering positive and empathetic patient experiences
- A centre for championing the need for early detection & holistic treatment
Our commitment to improving patient outcomes and patient quality of life remains undeterred, to this end we remain steadfastly committed to
- The use of advanced technology
- World-class quality standards
- Pioneering new treatment methods
- Employing the best talent
We adhere to strict medical protocols in our practice. We recognise that our patients and their families have placed their lives in our hands. The hospital follows the highest safety standards as it is critical to providing the best care. Integrity is another core value that is ingrained in all of us. We conduct ethical practices and are transparent about our procedures. We also strive to continually improve in all aspects and it is key to our being one of the best hospitals for pulmonology in Bangalore.
The first step in treating any disease is a sound diagnosis. Our team consisting of the best pulmonologist in Bangalore runs an initial series of tests to ascertain what the problem might be. They usually include:
- Blood tests. To check the oxygen levels and the presence of any other materials in your bloodstream
- Bronchoscopy. It uses a thin, flexible tube with a camera on the end to see inside the lungs and airways.
- CT Scan. A powerful X-ray that takes detailed pictures from inside your chest.
- Spirometry. It tests your lung capacity by measuring how hard you can breathe air in and out.
- X-rays. They use low doses of radiation to take images of your lungs
When would you see a pulmonologist?
It is important for you as a patient to understand when your body is giving you signs of a problem. You will have to visit a pulmonologist if you have the following symptoms:
- A cough that is severe or lasts for more than 3 weeks
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Extreme tiredness
- Severe Asthma
We would recommend that you visit us if you are facing even one of these symptoms. The best way to cure lung diseases is through early detection and we can do that only if you consult us at the earliest.
What kind of procedures do pulmonologists do?
In some instances, it is necessary to take tissue samples to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem. There are cases when a pulmonologist will have to perform procedures to:
- Clear the fluid and mucus from your lungs
- Open blocked air passages to ease any difficulty in breathing
- Check within your lungs and airways
We are thorough with our tests and take the utmost care to relieve your pain. It is a quality which ranks us amongst the best hospital for treatment of lung diseases in Bangalore.
Pulmonologists are equipped to treat anything from a simple asthma problem to performing a complex lung transplant. Let’s understand some of the problems that are generally encountered:
- Allergy and Immunology: It can be a sinus problem, hay fever, or a mild asthma attack.
- Asthma: A chronic problem which is characterized by periodic wheezing, short breaths, and coughing. Asthma attacks can last for a few minutes or a few days. They can be dangerous if the airflow is restricted for a long period.
- Cystic Fibrosis: A hereditary disease which can cause mucus to build-up in the lungs. It can be acute for some patients and chronic for others.
- Emphysema: A condition where the air sacs of the lungs are damaged. The sacs are unable to completely deflate and thus aren’t able to fill with fresh air. Prolonged cigarette smoking is a common cause for the disease.
- Interstitial Lung Disease: It is an umbrella that encompasses many chronic lung disorders. It begins with inflammation of the lung tissues and results in scarring of the air sacs and their supporting structures. An early symptom of the disease is difficulty with breathing.
- Interventional Pulmonology: It is a field of pulmonology that uses minimally invasive endoscopic techniques to treat several respiratory problems. It is primarily used to restore normal breathing, maintain the airway, and prevent the lungs from collapsing.
- Lung Transplant: It is a procedure to replace an infected or failing lung with a healthy lung. It is undertaken only when all other treatments have failed. There are several steps to be taken before a transplant is conducted. You have to be eligible to be a recipient and then, it is critical to obtain the right donor organ.
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery: A procedure to remove diseased lung tissue. It is done for patients with emphysema, COPD, and dyspnoea.
- Pulmonary Hypertension: It is a condition where the arteries of your lungs have high blood pressure
- Thoracic Surgery: It is performed in many different treatments. The procedure can help remove tumours, diagnose interstitial lung disease, and aid in lung transplantation. It is usually an endoscopic procedure. It involves the creation of small incisions through which the infected region is treated.
- Tuberculosis: It is a bacterial infection observed within the lungs. It is an airborne disease and can spread through a sneeze, cough, or a casual conversation.
- Occupational Lung Disease: It is the presence of foreign material within your lungs. It is caused by exposure to toxic substances regularly. It can result in acute or chronic respiratory problems depending on the severity and duration of exposure.
- Sleep Disorders: It is a problem where a person stops breathing for a short period while sleeping. It can cause blood oxygen levels to drop dramatically.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): It is a term used for lung disorders such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and asthma. It can cause fatigue and result in low blood oxygen levels. People with COPD also tend to have trouble sleeping.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea: It is a form of sleep disorder. A person’s breathing is briefly interrupted frequently while asleep. It leads to disturbed sleep and low blood oxygen levels.
Best Pulmonologists in Bangalore
BGS Gleneagles Hospital is one of the best hospitals for pulmonology in Bangalore. We have a team of highly qualified doctors the best pulmonologists in Bangalore, nurses, and medical assistants. Our doctors have years of experience treating lung diseases. They are leading lights in the field of pulmonology. They have an in-depth understanding of the latest equipment to provide you with the best treatment. They also work hand-in-hand with the cardiovascular and intensive care units in the case of complications or emergencies.
As a team, we are committed to delivering the best care every step of the way. From diagnosis to post-procedural follow-ups, you can rest assured that you are in safe hands. Our predominant goal is to ensure that you rapidly overcome your medical issues and lead a healthy life. The single-minded focus on providing specialized care is the reason why we are amongst the best hospitals for the treatment of lung diseases with the best pulmonologists in Bangalore.
Dr Sandeepa S
MBBS, MD (Resp Medicine), DM (Pulm Medicine)
Dr Vishwanath V Bellad
MBBS, DNB (Respiratory Diseases), T.D.D (Tuberculosis Diseases Diploma)