Department of Bone Marrow Tansplant, BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals Bangalore
On behalf of the Bone Marrow transplant team, we offer you a warm welcome. We are pleased to inform you about our program. Bone marrow refers to the soft, spongy tissue inside the bones. These tissues are responsible for the formation of blood-forming cells (blood stem cells). The different types of blood cells include:
- White blood cells to tackle infections
- Red blood cells transport oxygen across the body
- Platelets for clot formation to control bleeding
Blood forming cells are also present in bloodstreams and the umbilical cord. A bone marrow transplant is a process performed for replacing unhealthy bone marrow with healthy bone marrow. BGS Gleneagles Global Hospital is one of the best hospitals for bone marrow transplant surgery at Bangalore.
The centre is dedicated to early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of bone marrow related health issues. The Department seeks to be a centre of utmost excellence, offering comprehensive and cutting-edge services related to the different stages of a bone marrow transplant. Bone marrow transplantation is performed when someone's marrow is unhealthy and stops functioning correctly. The reason for unhealthy functioning can be chronic infections, blood disease, or cancer treatments. There are mainly two different types of a bone marrow transplant, namely Autologous and Allogeneic. The type of operation done will depend on the disease of the patient. Various tests are performed before the surgery to decipher the type of transplant needed. The transplant can take up to a week. The transplant surgery is similar to a blood transfusion. The stem cells from the donor are transferred to the patient in fluid form.
Our panel has one of the best bone marrow transplant specialists in Bangalore, who are internationally trained. They guide the patients and caretakers through every step from initial assessment to diagnosis and treatment. The treatments are personalized to suit the needs of the patients. Expert guidance on diet and lifestyle changes is provided for their wholesome health.
Why choose BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals Bangalore for BMT
We are the hub of specialized comprehensive care catered to individual needs:
- A centre for evolving procedures and advanced surgical care with some of the best bone marrow transplant surgeons in Bangalore
- A centre for utilizing the power of technology for excellent patient outcomes
- A centre for providing positive and empathetic patient experiences
- A centre for acing the need for early detection and holistic treatment
We are fully dedicated to improving patient outcomes and quality of life. For this, we remain committed to
- Use of technology
- World-class quality standards
- Pioneering new treatment methods
- Employing best talent
Treatment of dieases by Bone Marrow Transplant
BGS Gleneagles Global Hospital is one of the best hospitals for bone marrow transplantation in Bangalore. We begin with initial investigations and recommend medicines/drugs to alleviate then condition. We perform various tests to correctly identify the underlying condition of the patients and assess the right form of transplant needed.
The following diseases can be treated with bone marrow transplant
- Severe aplastic anaemia
- Multiple myelomas
- Immune deficiency disorder
- Some solid-tumor cancer (in rare circumstances)
Different types of bone marrow transplants done at our hospital include
- Autologous bone marrow transplant: In this type of transplant, the donor is the patient himself/herself. Stem cells are extracted from the patient either by bone marrow harvest or apheresis (a process of gathering peripheral blood stem cells), frozen and returned to the patient after intensive treatment. Doctors often use the term rescue instead of transplant for it. BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for autologous bone marrow transplant in Bangalore.
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant: The donor has the same genetic type as the recipient. Stem cells are either extracted by bone marrow harvest or apheresis from a donor that genetically matches the patients, for example, a sibling. Other donors may include parents, unrelated donors found by national bone marrow registries, etc. BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for allogeneic bone marrow transplant in Bangalore.
- Umbilical cord cell transplant: Stem cells are extracted from the umbilical cord as soon as the infant is delivered. These cells can reproduce into mature, functioning blood cells faster and more efficiently than the stem cells of the bone marrow of another child/adult. They are tested, counted, and frozen until they are needed any further. BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals has one of the best doctors for bone marrow transplantation in Bangalore.
Bone Marrow Transplant Doctors and Surgeons
The Department of Bone Marrow Transplant at BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for BMT surgery in Bangalore for delivering the best treatment for cancer and blood diseases. The patients have unlimited access to a team of best doctors for the treatment of cancer and blood disorders, who perform bone marrow transplantation. The hospital has some of the best bone marrow specialists in Bangalore. They are highly experienced and well-trained surgeons. We make sure that the patients receive a complete program of care from all other allied specialists, who coordinate the best effort in your journey to total fitness.
Dr Rajeev Vijayakumar
MBBS, DNB (General Medicine), DNB (Medical Oncology)
Consultant Medical Oncologist, Haemato-Oncologist & BMT Physician
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.